- The 1988 Seoul Olympics played host to what has been described by some as the dirtiest race of all time, by others as the greatest. The final of the men's 100 metres at those Olympics is certainly the most infamous in the history of athletics, and more indelibly etched into the consciousness of the sport, the Olympics, and a global audience of millions, than any other athletics event before or since.
- Ben Johnson's world-record time of 9.79 seconds - as thrilling as it was - was the beginning rather than the end of the story. Following the race, Johnson tested positive, news that generated as many - if not more - shockwaves as his fastest ever run. He was stripped of the title, with Lewis awarded the gold medal, Linford Christie the silver and Calvin Smith the bronze.
- More than two decades on, the story still hadn't ended. In 1999 Lewis was named Sportsman of the Century by the IOC, and Olympian of the Century by Sports Illustrated. Yet his reputation was damaged by revelations that he too used performance-enhancing drugs, and tested positive prior to the Seoul Olympics. Christie also tested positive in Seoul but his explanation, that the banned substance had been in ginseng tea, was accepted. Smith, now a lecturer in English literature at a Florida university, was the only athlete in the top five whose reputation remains unblemished - the others all tested positive at some stage in their careers.
- Containing remarkable new revelations, this book uses witness interviews - with Johnson, Lewis and Smith among others - to reconstruct the build-up to the race, the race itself, and the fallout when news of Johnson's positive test broke and he was forced into hiding. It also examines the rivalry of the two favourites going into it, and puts the race in a historical context, examining its continuing relevance on the sport today, where every new record elicit scepticism.
- Standard - £6.35 (Monday to Friday) Delivery within 3-5 working days.
- International - £29.95 To over 120 countries, within 7 - 14 working days.
- Europe - £29.95 Delivery within 7 - 14 working days.
Please note: We cannot deliver on English public holidays or at specific times of day, unless otherwise stated.
We have a 30-day return policy, which means you have 30 days after receiving your item to request a return. Please make sure that the items are returned in their original packaging.
To start a return, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your return is accepted, Items sent back to us without first requesting a return will not be accepted. Return by post or courier within 14 days from the day your parcel arrives for a full refund via the original payment method. Or within 30 days, when we will refund you with an eVoucher to the value of your items.
You can always contact us for any return question at email@example.com.
Damages and issues
Please inspect your order upon reception and contact us immediately if the item is defective, damaged or if you receive the wrong item, so that we can evaluate the issue and make it right.
Exceptions / non-returnable items
Certain types of items cannot be returned. Please get in touch if you have questions or concerns about your specific item.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept returns on gift cards.
The fastest way to ensure you get what you want is to return the item you have, and once the return is accepted, make a separate purchase for the new item.
We will notify you once we’ve received and inspected your return, and let you know if the refund was approved or not. If approved, you’ll be automatically refunded on your original payment method. Please remember it can take some time for your bank or credit card company to process and post the refund too.
Whether you’re unsure about the size for yourself or you are a parent looking to buy their young cricketer the right sized equipment, this size guide will aid you. This guide was compiled by our experienced staff, who understand the need to be able to make informed decisions. Please note that this should be used as a guide only and measurements are approximate.