- On a Bangalore night in April 2008, cricket and India changed forever. It was the first night of the Indian Premier League – cricket, but not as we knew it. It involved big money, glitz, prancing girls and Bollywood stars. It was not so much sport as tamasha: a great entertainment.
- The Great Tamasha examines how a game and a country, both regarded as synonymous with infinite patience, managed to produce such an event. James Astill explains how India’s economic surge and cricketing obsession made it the dominant power in world cricket, off the field if rarely on it. He tells how cricket has become the central focus of the world’s second-biggest nation: the place where power and money and celebrity and corruption all meet, to the rapt attention of a billion eyeballs.
- Astill crosses the subcontinent and, over endless cups of tea, meets the people who make up modern India – from faded princes to back-street bookmakers, slum kids to squillionaires – and sees how cricket shapes their lives and that of their country. Finally, in London he meets Indian cricket’s fallen star, Lalit Modi, whose driving energy helped build this new form of cricket before he was dismissed in disgrace: a story that says much about modern India.
- The Great Tamasha is a fascinating examination of the most important development in cricket today. A brilliant evocation of an endlessly beguiling country, it is also essential reading for anyone who wants to understand the workings of modern India.
- Standard - £6.35 (Monday to Friday) Delivery within 3-5 working days.
- International - £29.95 To over 120 countries, within 7 - 14 working days.
- Europe - £29.95 Delivery within 7 - 14 working days.
Please note: We cannot deliver on English public holidays or at specific times of day, unless otherwise stated.
We have a 30-day return policy, which means you have 30 days after receiving your item to request a return. Please make sure that the items are returned in their original packaging.
To start a return, you can contact us at email@example.com. If your return is accepted, Items sent back to us without first requesting a return will not be accepted. Return by post or courier within 14 days from the day your parcel arrives for a full refund via the original payment method. Or within 30 days, when we will refund you with an eVoucher to the value of your items.
You can always contact us for any return question at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Damages and issues
Please inspect your order upon reception and contact us immediately if the item is defective, damaged or if you receive the wrong item, so that we can evaluate the issue and make it right.
Exceptions / non-returnable items
Certain types of items cannot be returned. Please get in touch if you have questions or concerns about your specific item.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept returns on gift cards.
The fastest way to ensure you get what you want is to return the item you have, and once the return is accepted, make a separate purchase for the new item.
We will notify you once we’ve received and inspected your return, and let you know if the refund was approved or not. If approved, you’ll be automatically refunded on your original payment method. Please remember it can take some time for your bank or credit card company to process and post the refund too.
Whether you’re unsure about the size for yourself or you are a parent looking to buy their young cricketer the right sized equipment, this size guide will aid you. This guide was compiled by our experienced staff, who understand the need to be able to make informed decisions. Please note that this should be used as a guide only and measurements are approximate.